Yep, today is known as a day for food, fat pants, a pre-morning run or a post-afternoon walk, football, celebrating, etc., and for some holidays are extra hard. Last year in 2016, after my divorce, I think Thanksgiving was the most difficult day of the year for me. It was hard to feel happy or peaceful.
BUT… I do encourage you to sit in some stillness today by yourself or with loved ones, and think about what you truly are thankful for. That has continuously helped me move forward and smile.
These are the 8 precious things for which I am so very Thankful:
1) God’s Grace- I have had a lof of ups and downs over the last year and a half and I don’t think I would have been able to get through some of those downs without God’s grace reminding me I am loved, worthy, and strong.
2) My vocation- I LOVE my Job- which is NEVER boring. I respect and value each one of my clients. I feel so grateful that they are willing to trust me with their pain and the intimate details of their lives, and that “AHA!” moment when they grow, heal, gain confidence, and love themselves just a little more. Pure Gold.
3. Health and Recovery- As someone who had terrible post concussive syndrome a few years back, it is amazing to feel this good again. Also, when there were 6 months of unknown stomach problems and hospital visits, and after finally going gluten free and feeling 100% better, I can say I am truly thankful for my body’s ability to recover. Mentally I am 9 years recovered(ing) from an ED. I pretty much eat what I want whenever I want (Donuts, salad, tea, chocolate, sushi, pizza, smoothies, french fries- all are okay!). I am active when I want to be. I don’t have any food rules. Life is so free now. and my body feels energized and awesome.
4. Travel- This year alone I have been to Australia, New Zealand, the Dominican Republic, Boston, Chicago, Colorado, LA, Wisconsin, Seattle, Santa Barbara, Singapore, and The Philippines… and played frisbee in more than half of them. Not bad. Also grateful that gluten free food is so easy to come by in the world now.
5. Teammates- working toward a common goal on the frisbee field, volleyball court, or soccer field. Endorphins and adrenaline flying everywhere! High-fives, hugs, encouragement, community, Competitive fun, and joy emanate from these people in my life.
6. Family- My parents, brother, sis-in-law, niece and nephew, aunt and uncles, cousins, and grandparents. They have supported me through so much. Especially this past year.
7. Love- The last 6 months with this new wonderful man has been a true blessing from God in my life. He is such a man of integrity and reminded me coming out of a painful time that God has a plan for me and that Love is Patient and Love is Kind.
8. Friends- You know who you are. Deep close personal friendships who can laugh with me, remind me who I am and what I value, call me out on my shit, hold me while I weep, and encourage the heck out of me.
What are you Thankful for?